Sunday, June 28, 2009

Part 9 - a lone tear and a jellyfish

hey there,

Glad you had a good time driving around LA, consuming burgers and the enjoying extensive freeway system. I've been rained on most days in hong kong, although I did take a pretty fun windsurfing lesson last week. Hong Kong's one and only Olympic gold medal was won in windsurfing in 1996, and since then the sport has taken off. It's wonderfully frustrating - quite easy to go straight once you've got the hang of it, but turning and trying to get back to the beach is a whole different matter. I did also see a couple of very large jellyfish that scared the crap out
of me.



My section was riddled with a large number of scribbles, scrawled additions, and typewritten 'X's. Clearly someone was agitated when correcting and editing my few pages. I have entire paragraphs that have been crossed out.

I'm not sure why - I suppose it's fraught with emotional intrigue, but not much else.. Our dear Rowan receives a phone call from Matt Cater who calls to cancel his date with her to the Tibetan Museum, due to a sudden project that has come up regarding a wing (of the greenhouse?) that he needs to see her aunt Lucy about. The competition between Lucy and Rowan becomes all the more apparent, as Rowan gets oh-so-passive aggressive when she finds this out, especially when Matt suggests that Reshevsky take her instead. To be honest - I'm not sure why she's so peeved. Perhaps I need to be dumped by an attractive older man who's first love is botany, in order to fully comprehend Rowan's angst.

Ooh - I forgot to mention, she realizes her phone call was listened in on by some other party, adding insult to injury. In fact there's a wonderful line where describing 'one small angry tear drop'.

At lunch she does her best to act icy and disdainful of Matt Cater, and appears to swoon slightly at Reshevsky (i'm assuming to make poor ol' Matt jealous), especially when Lucy suggests that Reshevsky take her on a tour of Manhattan (which made me think about what tours of New York were like in the '60's and '70's.... no one went below 14th street presumably, and Times Square had begun its descent into seediness... what did that leave? gentle carriage rides around Central Park? Jaunts down Fifth Avenue?).

The last paragraph is completely crossed out, making it impossible to read, but it has something to do with an exchange between Matt and Reshevsky.

and tag back... you're it.

No comments:

Post a Comment