Friday, August 14, 2009

Part 15 - iced coffee, a first date and a louse

Shane,

it's funny how unemployment makes one question so many of the mundane decisions that are made on a daily basis; do I really need that coffee from Grumpy's.... is hummus considered a luxury item or is it a necessary snack? Anyway, welcome to the ranks of the unemployed!
I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch time meeting today at Tillies. I'm excited for our field trip next Wednesday (oh, it's been so long since I've gone on a field trip.... i definitley remember one particularly boring one when I was 13 where we visited the sewage treatment plant).And of course, I'll be on the edge of my seat waiting to hear the results of your phone call. We have reverted back to being young 14 year old adolescents asking our crushes out on dates... 'what will she say...' 'do I need to practice my lines first?'....

Back to Reshevsky. I'm intrigued by him. Due to the large portions of text blacked out in my last section (and in this section too), I am unclear as to his exact level of odiousness. My section begins with their continued conversation in his bachelor pad, which as Reshevsky remarks 'is rather dusty'. He claims that Rowan and her aunt are victims of their own 'emotionalism', a term that when Googled leads you to the a wikipedia entry for the Avett Brother's album of the same name. Rowan is left cold and haunted by his admission that he is completely devoid of emotion. However, she is not uncomfortable enough to forego a trip with him to the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Terminal (this I'm pretty sure would be a great field trip, but one that would fall under the category 'luxury and therefore unnecessary' in my list of things I allow myself to do). Unfortunately by now, the day has slipped away from them and they aren't able to make it to the Tibetan Museum, which means Rowan is unable to meet Matt Cater.

At dinner when she next encounters Matt, he is in good spirits and entertaining the Braithwaites (whom you may remember were also present the night of the tragic death of the monk). Apparently Matt as well as being a botanist is also a published writer (Rowan refers to him as a 'louse' - she is clearly still unable to trust him).



Matt manages to sneak a note into her palm, asking her to meet him at the 'copse of birches across road left side of gate eleven-five sharp' (and thanks again for wikipedia's definition of copse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copse). However this supposed meeting is less than an hour away, and while Matt makes his farewells, her aunt begins to press Rowan to join them for brandy in the living room.... how on earth will our Rowan make her getaway? What will transpire in the 'copse of birches'???

You're up!

No comments:

Post a Comment